soft diet This is a type of diet that is recommended in cases of digestive problems like gastroenteritis. Which do not cause irritation to the stomach or intestine, and which provide essential nutrients for health benefits. But, What you need to know about soft diets? What can you eat and what not?, We explain to you everything you need to know, such as the types of soft diets, permitted and prohibited foods, some menus and how to do it right,
20 anti-inflammatory foods to stay healthy
What is soft diet?
Soft diet is a type of diet recommended for reducing Problems related to digestive systemSuch as ulcers, gastritis, diarrhea, vomiting, reflux or surgery.
“Soft diet This includes foods that are easy to chew and Easy to digest, no spices or spicy foods are used, avoiding fats or acids, as well as avoiding any other substances that may irritate the digestive system. Moreover, the food is prepared in a simple way: baked, steamed or grilled“Explain the health sciences experts from the International University of Valencia.
Why do you eat soft food?
Soft diets should always be taken under medical supervision and only for as long as necessary. This is not a balanced or adequate diet Long term. Some reasons are as follows:
- when there is a bowel diseaseThe purpose of which is to give some work to the stomach and improve digestion, besides preventing frequent bowel movements.
- when there teeth or gum problems That they indicate so.
- when there problem swallowing Due to inflammation of the esophagus or throat.
- in the matter of Surgery, Being prepared to go through it and/or having endured it. Also in other cases, such as when you have to go through a colonoscopy, For example.
Who can do soft diet? Both adults and children, unless indicated by the doctor.
How many types of soft foods are there?
- bitter. It tries to prevent problems like diarrhea, stomach pain due to gastritis, etc.
- Non-astringent. It seeks to solve the problems of chewing or swallowing, in this case, we are talking about a diet for dysphagia, that is, for people who have inflammation of the esophagus or throat and cannot swallow.
- Specific. For colonoscopy, surgical operations etc.
What can you eat on a soft diet?
The foods that can be eaten in a soft diet are generally those They are bland, not very spicy and low in fiber, Some of the most suitable are:
- Milk and other dairy products, only Low fat or fat free.
- cooked vegetables (carrots, pumpkin or zucchini preferably)
- potatoes or Boiled white rice.
- baked or compote fruitsLike apple, pear or banana.
- tender, lean meat, such as chicken, turkey or white fish, Cooked, steamed, baked or grilled, without added fat. According to a study conducted in France and published in the journal NutrientsThese nutrients are necessary for Preserve lean mass and avoid loss in strength That state of health.
- eggs Baked or in a tortilla. Monica Acha, dietician, nutritionist and food technologist, explains, “It is advisable to consume only egg whites in the first few days as it has low fat content and if our digestive system starts working properly If yes then slowly add the whole egg.
- pudding, custard or Gelatin, Sugar Free,
- Tofu, fresh cheese and natural yogurt,
- stockEspecially the broth.
- drink a lot of water.
What can’t you eat on a soft diet?
It is important to note that the soft diet may vary depending on each person’s clinical condition, but the most important thing is that Avoid foods that are on the “restricted” list, Such as spicy, fried, legumes, raw, fatty, acidic, fermented, whole, dry, sweet or alcoholic foods.
Tips When Eating a Soft Diet
- During this time ask the doctor how long You should follow this diet, which usually does not exceed 2 or 3 days, after which a more varied diet can be introduced little by little. If you do not feel improvement after these days, consult your doctor again.
- to chew Be careful with each bite to swallow it as crushed as possible and thoroughly salivate, as saliva contains enzymes that help start the digestion process.
- Eat Small amount So that the stomach does not get full and eats food again and again.
- take it hot food, Neither hot nor cold, as the stomach works better when it is close to body temperature.
- must have diet poor in salt And if you use any spices, have them be herbs that help digestion, like oregano.
- It is essential to stay well hydrated. drink water in small sips Or extracts that promote digestion, such as chamomile, lemon verbena or pennyroyal and, as we said before, always taken warm and in small sips.
Next, we show you a soft diet menu example,
a soft diet menu
- Breakfast. Whole wheat toast, piece of natural turkey breast (without starch, preservatives…), yogurt and digestive infusion.
- During the morning. Add apples to compote or cook in microwave for 5 minutes.
- Eat White rice, boiled or grilled white fish and grated apple.
- Breakfast. Grated apple and digestive infusion.
- dinner. Vegetable cream (carrots, pumpkin, zucchini), French omelette and yogurt.
Does a light diet help you lose weight?
No, bland diets are not designed for weight loss. As we have seen, it facilitates digestion, helps prevent diarrhea, eliminates intestinal discomfort or helps swallowing depending on the case, but it is not a weight loss diet.