Fat-soluble vitamins: What foods contain them and how their deficiency affects us universal

A total of 13 vitamins are found in small quantities in foods. These are essential for cellular function, growth and normal development.

The fat soluble ones, which are A, D, K and E, are those that dissolve in body fat. These types of vitamins are stored in the liver and fatty tissues, so it is not necessary to take them daily.

However, to avoid deficiencies and know how they affect health, we share a guide prepared by Melio Medical Group about them. Read: This is the key vitamin to reprogram cells and regenerate tissues

Vitamin A or Retinol

Strengthens the immune system, protects vision, proper development of bones and teeth and the health of skin and mucous membranes. It has high antioxidant power and is essential for fetal development during pregnancy.

It is present in large quantities in dairy products, egg yolks, oily fish and animal liver. It is also found in the form of carotene (a group of red, orange and yellow colors) in carrots, tomatoes, spinach, lettuce etc.

How does your loss affect you?: It can cause blindness, growth retardation, infertility, changes in the menstrual cycle, increased susceptibility to infection, and skin problems (hyperkeratosis).

Its excess may cause headache, fatigue, irritability, dizziness, gastric disorders, hydrocephalus, edema etc.

Vitamin D or Calciferol

It is essential for the absorption of minerals such as calcium or phosphorus, which are closely linked to bone health and other metabolic processes. It is also very important for the proper functioning of the immune system and regulation of the inflammatory response. Read: 9 Water Soluble Vitamins: What Do They Provide and How Does Their Deficiency Affect Us?

20% of vitamin D comes from foods such as fatty fish (salmon, tuna or mackerel), egg yolks or cheese. The remaining 80% is obtained through skin synthesis due to the action of UV rays.

How does your loss impact this? Osteoporosis in adults (especially in post-menopausal age), rickets in children, obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular risk, chronic pain, irritable bowel syndrome, increased risk of infections and complications from respiratory infections.

Vitamin K (K1, K2 and K3)

It affects bone health, as it helps deliver calcium to the bones, but it is also important for blood clotting.

It is present in plant foods, especially in kale (a vegetable belonging to the cabbage family), but also in spinach, broccoli, lettuce and cabbage. It is also produced in the group of bacteria living in our intestine. Read: These are the health benefits of vitamins

How does your loss impact this? This can increase the risk of bleeding, calcification formation in various tissues, and bone deformities.

Vitamin E (tocopherols and tocotrienols)

It protects against damage, mutation or cell death and oxidative stress, also maintains the correct functioning of the nervous system and immune system.

It prevents oxidation of other vitamins and is found in high-oil vegetables (olive or sunflower), nuts, seeds and avocados.

How does your loss impact this? Although it is not very common, hemolysis of erythrocytes (destruction of red blood cells) and neurological and muscle problems may occur.

(tagstotranslate)healthy eating

Source link

Leave a Comment