There are studies that support the idea that coffee May reduce the risk of cancer and heart disease,
Furthermore, a new study conducted by CIBER of Obesity and Nutrition Physiopathology and the Pere Virgili Health Research Institute showed that Coffee can also protect memory, In this article we will talk about relationships Between coffee and some medicines,
Before addressing this topic, it is important to highlight research published a few years ago in Circulation: Heart Failure, the scientific journal of the American Heart Association, which suggests consuming one or more cups of coffee a day. May reduce the risk of heart failure.
However, it is important to note that coffee is not beneficial for everyone. For those taking certain medicationssince their combination Medications may cause undesirable side effects when taken with coffee.
According to the Saludyfarmacos.org website, it is an international non-profit organization. Promotes access and appropriate use of medicines Among the Spanish-speaking population, there are medications that should not be mixed with coffee and their possible effects are explained here:
– ephedrine: Ephedrine is a stimulant that increases speed Nervous system and is used as a bronchodilator Treat respiratory problems, low blood pressure and menstrual problems, among others. Since coffee is also a stimulant, their combination can be dangerous. High blood pressure, causing heart attack, stroke or seizures,
– Contraception: Contraceptives can slow down the metabolism of caffeine in the body, which can Causes nervousness, headache and rapid heart rate,
– Anticoagulant drugs: Mixing coffee with medicines slows down blood clotting, such as aspirin, clopidogrel (Plavix), the ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin and others), the naproxen (Anaprox, Naprosyn, and others), and enoxaparin (Lovenox), among others, The risk of excessive bleeding and bruising may increase.
– antidiabetic: Coffee may increase blood sugar levels in some people. blood sugar, which may counteract the effects of antidiabetic drugs,
– Theophylline: Theophylline is used to treat respiratory conditions such as asthma, bronchitis and emphysemaassume that Relaxes muscles and opens airways, Caffeine has similar effects on the body, so the combination Both can intensify the effects of theophylline. Apart from this, consumption of coffee along with anti-asthma medicines is also beneficial. albuterol (Proventil, Ventolin and Volmax), the metaproterenol (Alupent) and isoproterenol (sold as Isuprel) may increase side effects.
– Phenothiazine: phenothiazines A type of medicine that is used to treat mental disorders such as schizophrenia and other forms of psychosisas well as to relieve excitement in some patients severe nausea or moderate to severe pain, coffee can tannin Interfere with effective absorption of these medications,
, tricyclic antidepressants: Tricyclic antidepressants, including amitriptyline (Elavil) and imipramine (Tofranil, Genimine), also see reduction in effectiveness These medications may cause interactions with coffee tannins when taken with coffee.
In summary, it is important to exercise caution when combining coffee with certain medications, as these interactions can have adverse health effects. It is always advisable to consult a health professional or pharmacist. Before making dietary changes or taking medications.