Hector J. Cruz
A strong blow has been received by the Dominican team that will participate in the world baseball classic next March in view of the fact that 18 players from the roster of 50 have been notified as possible non-participants. That equates to 36%.
Juan Núñez, president of the Dominican Baseball Federation, explained that they have received the notification, but that the team’s management has immediately begun efforts to annul the measure.
“In effect, we have been notified of the situation, and the general manager Nelson Cruz has contacted the players’ union to see if we can reverse this measure,” said Núñez, speaking in the CDN’s La Hora del Deporte space. Sports.
He clarified, however, that he cannot give the names because the process has begun and they do not want to hinder it.
Cruz was requested by telephone, but it could not be possible. He replied to Listín that he was in the mountains for the weekend, with a poor signal from his mobile.
Manager Rodney Linares, on the other hand, said that the case is in the hands of management and the Federation, and that he does not have the details.
In recent weeks, it was known that some players would have health problems because at the end of last year they underwent various types of surgery. Among them are the names of Mets outfielder Starling Marte, Cleveland third baseman José Ramírez and Seattle Mariners pitcher Luis Castillo.
With this situation, players who were not supposed to participate would enter into the team’s controversy, such as Cruz himself, due to his status as manager, and the veteran Robinson Canó.
Also the outfielder and infielder Emilio Bonifacio, who would have been invited recently due to requests and public pressure.
The Dominican team will be part of group D, and will have all its games at the Miami Marlins stadium starting on March 11. This group is made up of, in addition to the Dominican Republic, Israel, Nicaragua, Puerto Rico and Venezuela.
In recent days, Cruz signed a one-year deal with the San Diego Padres, and will join that club in mid-February. The firm was for 1 year and 5 million dollars.
Núñez said the team will report to the Baltimore Orioles stadium in Sarasota, Florida, on March 6, for two days of practice. Before their first game, on the 11th, they will play two warm-up matches against major league teams.
GOVERNMENT 800 THOUSAND DOLLARS
In another order, Juan Núñez informed that the government has approved a contribution of 800 thousand dollars, which will cover all the expenses of the team.
“That’s right, that is the team’s budget, which has been approved by President Luis Abinader,” Núñez said.
Other income from the organizers will be used for the team’s payroll, distribution of bonuses, and funds for special programs of the federation.
The first Dominican game will be vs. Venezuela, at 7 PM, on Saturday, March 11.