Chicago, United States /
The Leagues Cup, the official competition recognized by CONCACAF that starts next summer between the clubs of the MLS and of the MX Leagueannounced this Friday the members of its fifteen groups, with the Pachuca and the Los Angeles FCwho, as champions of their respective tournaments, will start directly from the round of 16.
The 18 teams of the MX League and the 29 of the MLS will be measured in a tournament in the style world Cup from July 21 to August 19, 2023 and were divided into fifteen groups of three clubs each with a “competitive balance criterion,” reported the MLS it’s a statement.
The Pachucafor being champion of the MX League with the most points added in the 2022 Clausura and Apertura tournaments, and the LAFCfor being the current champion of the MLSalready expect a rival in the knockout phase and were placed on opposite sides of the draw.
The League Cupwhich will be disputed between USA Y Canadadivided the teams into four regions, Central, South, East and West.
To form the groups, the position of the clubs of the MLS in the table of ‘Supporters’ Shield‘ (the regular season standings) and was ranked in the reverse order of the Liga MX teams.
Each team will play two group stage matches with the top two from each group advancing to the knockout stage starting with the round of 32. there will be no extensionsbut the duels that end with a draw in the ninety minutes will be decided on penalties.
These are the groups of the Leagues Cup:
- West 1: Tigres UANL (No. 2 LIGA MX), Portland Timbers (No. 14 MLS), San Jose Earthquakes (No. 25 MLS)
- West 2: Monterrey (No. 3 LIGA MX), Real Salt Lake (No. 13 MLS), Seattle Sounders FC (No. 20 MLS)
- West 3: LA Galaxy (No. 7 MLS), Club Leon (No. 9 LIGA MX), Vancouver Whitecaps FC (No. 16 MLS)
- Central 1: Club América (No. 1 LIGA MX), Columbus Crew (No. 15 MLS), St. Louis CITY SC (No.28 MLS)
- Central 2: Puebla (No. 6 LIGA MX), Minnesota United FC (No. 10 MLS), Chicago Fire FC (No. 23 MLS)
- Central 3: Chivas Guadalajara (No. 7 LIGA MX), FC Cincinnati (No. 9 MLS), Sporting Kansas City (No. 21 MLS)
- Central 4: Nashville SC (No. 8 MLS), Toluca (No. 8 LIGA MX), Colorado Rapids (No. 17 MLS)
- South 1: Austin FC (No. 3 MLS), Mazatlán FC (No. 13 LIGA MX), FC Juárez (No. 16 LIGA MX)
- South 2: Santos Laguna (No. 4 LIGA MX), Orlando City SC (No. 12 MLS), Houston Dynamo FC (No. 24 MLS)
- South 3: Cruz Azul (No. 5 LIGA MX), Inter Miami CF (No. 11 MLS), Atlanta United (No. 22 MLS)
- South 4: FC Dallas (No. 6 MLS), Necaxa (No. 10 LIGA MX), Charlotte FC (No. 18 MLS)
- East 1: Philadelphia Union (No. 1 MLS), Club Tijuana (No. 15 LIGA MX), Querétaro (No. 17 LIGAMX)
- East 2: CF Montréal (No. 2 MLS), Pumas (No. 14 LIGA MX), DC United (No. 27 MLS)
- East 3: New York City FC (No. 4 MLS), Atlas (No. 12 LIGA MX), Toronto FC (No. 26 MLS)
- East 4: New York Red Bulls (No. 5 MLS), Atlético de San Luis (No. 11 LIGA MX), New England Revolution (No. 19 MLS).