What does Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation do? The medical specialty of Montserrat Bernabéu, Piqué’s mother
physical medicine and rehabilitation It arose in the United States at the beginning of the 20th century. With Dr. Frank Krusen as the main precursor. This type of specialty is responsible for evaluating, treating, and monitoring patients with disorders of the muscular, skeletal, and neurological systems.
It is divided into several stagesspecifically in four:
- Pain control.
- Start of range of motion rehabilitation program.
- Partial restoration of range of motion.
- Restoration of force.
The main areas of the body affected and that need this type of medicine are the spine, muscles, tendons and joints in general. These are the most normal causes for you need this type of rehabilitation:
- Brain disorders.
- Chronic pains.
- Pain in bones or joints.
- Severe burns or amputations.
- Spinal cord or brain injuries.
In addition, it is also a specialty used in children. It is not intended solely for people of adult or advanced ages. Being some of the conditions that need to resort to Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation the following:
- Down syndrome or other genetic disorders
- intellectual disability
- Muscular dystrophy or other neuromuscular disorders
- Deafferentation Disorder, Autism Spectrum Disorder, or Developmental Disorders
- Speech disorders and language problems
What does Montserrat Bernabéu do?
She has a degree in Medicine and Surgery from the University of Barcelona, specializing in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at the Autonomous University of Barcelona. His working life has been developed above all at the Institut Guttmann located in Badalona (Barcelona), dedicated to this type of conditions. Currently, she is co-director of the Institut Guttman Foundation.