That’s the main finding of Cigna’s latest 360-Vitality study, which examines the impact of economic stress on public health. Our country’s score of 24/100 highlights important deficiencies that are particularly felt in the Zeta and Millennial generations. The consequences include: lack of rest, increased risk of cardiovascular disease, headaches, digestive problems, and difficulty managing emotions and mood changes.
This is known as economic anxiety or financial stress, and it is an ever-present reality, but it finds a boost early in the year following December’s high spending and the return to normalcy in what is known as the “January Slope.” .
According to the Center for Sociological Research (CIS), about 40% of the Spanish population assess their economic situation as bad or very bad. and new Cigna 360-Vitality Study, awards our country score 24 out of 100 for financial well-being, which is significantly below the optimal level. Among the reasons for economic discomfort, citizens most often note: high cost of living (47%); uncertainty about the future (38%); and personal finance situation (38%).
In fact, data from around the world is not very different from this reality and shows that 67% of the population believe that the cost of living and inflation make maintaining a healthy economy too expensive.. More precisely, Generation Zetas (70%) and Millennials (72%) are those who show a greater predisposition to financial stress.
Healthy men in healthy bodies
Economic difficulties have a direct impact on the lives of families. On the one hand, there are problems making ends meet, constant worry about being able to cover basic expenses, uncertainty in the face of any unforeseen event, social isolation, etc.; On the other hand, unattainable economic expectations can cause disappointment and anxiety. Add to this a lack of financial knowledge and decision-making becomes fraught with uncertainty.
Proposed Analysis Signa Healthcare Based on the findings of this report, it lists the most important effects of financial stress, both physical and mental:
- Lack of rest. Constant worrying breeds anxiety and stress—two of the most classic barriers to falling asleep, staying asleep through the night, and resting peacefully. Both circumstances feed each other and can create a vicious circle from which it is very difficult to get out: Stress disrupts sleep, and lack of sleep increases sensitivity to stress.. Recommendations for improving the quality of rest in these cases are general for other alarming situations. It is important to generate Healthy Habits, with a routine schedule, favorable sleeping conditions in the room, or avoidance of large dinners.
- Increased risk of heart attack. A body under stress tends to release hormones such as adrenaline, which can increase blood pressure, as well as increase heart rate and cause palpitations or irregular heartbeat.
- Mood changes and difficulty managing emotions.. Another group of common consequences are irritability, mood swings and difficulty managing emotions.which directly affects personal relationships and quality of life.
- Constant headaches and headaches. When a person is constantly worried, he may experience tension in the muscles of the neck, shoulders and scalp, which in turn leads to tension headaches. Exercise relaxation techniques such as meditation, yoga or deep breathing can help reduce muscle tension and relieve headaches.
- Most common digestive problems. The connection between stress and the digestive system is direct and is due to the close connection between the brain and the gastrointestinal system, a tandem known as the gut-brain axis, which is also very sensitive to anxiety and responds to it with disorders of various types. .
The Key to Healthy Financial Management
Dealing with an unstable economic situation can be very difficult. Especially when more vulnerable people such as children, the elderly or chronically ill people are responsible for the family. Physical symptoms that may appear as a consequence of financial stress syndrome can be treated with the same recommendations as if they had a different origin. Sleep, hypertension, emotion management, etc. respond to specific decisions.
But in the case of this type of anxiety, Signa Healthcare recommends fighting not only the consequences, but also the cause that causes them. To avoid stress caused by financial difficulties, the following recommendations are offered:
- Search emotional support and counseling if possible from professional experts.
- Avoid comparisons with others financially, as each person has unique circumstances.
- To plan: define achievable financial goals and short-term to achieve realistic goals, reduce anxiety, and improve the ability to manage difficult financial situations.
- Financial debt and lack of savings pose an additional mental burden. It’s fundamental arrange frequent payments and make regular savings confront financial emergencies and create a sense of security.
- Keep track of your income and expenses. Set your budget clearly and realistically This allows you to make more informed financial decisions and reduce uncertainty and, as a result, anxiety. It should also be taken into account that it is important to regularly review and adjust these budgets to ensure they are up to date and in line with costs.
- Forecast purchases, allocating funds efficiently and intentionally, not being swayed by offers and discounts on things that are not needed. An association advance financial planning and informed purchases Not only does this help maintain a healthy financial balance, but it also makes a significant contribution to reducing financial anxiety.
All of these practices provide a sense of control, reduce uncertainty, and promote more informed and rational decisions, helping to avoid impulsive spending and ultimately prevent financial stress.